Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lubuntu on Eeepc 1025C with correct resolution and accelerated video playback

This article focuses on installing accelerated graphics drivers for Lubuntu on an eeepc 1025c, but most of the content should apply also to any other Ubuntu 12.04 derivate and any other cedar trail netbook.
WARNING: using the terminal may easily lead to serious problems; the procedure is a bit complicated and has various steps, but it's the result of many failed attempts and a few reinstallations! If in trouble at any point ask and I can try to give some advice.
No more comments please: sorry for that but comment are not working right. Write me a public post on google+ instead, I will reply from there.

Why Lubuntu?

The 1025c, as well as many other netbooks in the same price range, is sold with Windows 7 Starter Edition preinstalled, a decent operating system, but very much resources hungry; since the 1025c can't be easily upgraded to more than its starting 1GB, just opening a few applications easily fills the memory up and results in disk swapping and terrible sluggishness.
Lubuntu 12.04 is much lighter on this eeepc and can run Skype and Chromium with a few open tabs while still leaving 500MB of free RAM; also it can easily browse windows and mac shares to get multimedia contents for example.
Also Min 13 Cinnamon works very well; a little heavier but still completely usable.

STATUS ubuntu 12.04: Ubuntu 12.04 (and derivates like Mint 13) is working ok, with decent 2D  performance and accelerated hi-res video playback; 3D is poor. Unity is not recommended if you only have less than 2GB RAM - better go with lighter desktops like Cinnamon, Mate, Lxde, Xfce...
Please be aware that recent Ubuntu LTS updates like 12.04.2, 12.04.3 and 12.04.4 use a more recent kernel and xorg which are not compatible with these drivers.

STATUS ubuntu 12.10: Not recommended. Basic unaccelerated desktop functionality can be achieved by tweaking both live and installed version setup.
Live session: 
1. On boot push F5 (or Tab, it depends on the tool you use to start it) and add to kernel option at the end: "text". In case you already have the "persistent" option you must remove it.
2. It will boot to a shell with user ubuntu
3. sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (it will create this file):
Section "Device"   
Identifier             "Intel GMA3600"   
Driver                 "fbdev"
EndSection
4. Save the file
5. Start the graphical session whith command:sudo service lightdm start
6. After installation (before reboot) modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the same way you did for live
UPDATE ubuntu 12.10 11/21/2012 : according to launchpad a fix has been added to quantal-proposed. Since it is just a hack to use fbdev (totally unaccelerated) driver I still consider Ubuntu 12.10 not recommendable and I won't even try this update (not worth the time for me given the best attainable results). At this point I am afraid that the situation will stay like this for a long time, if not for good.

STATUS ubuntu 13.04 onwards: the resolution is correctly set, but it uses unaccelerated drivers. It's good only for basic desktop use and low res video, only at native resolution, not fullscreen. Not recommended.

Installing the drivers

All following commands are meant for a root terminal, as usual they can be executed using sudo instead.

We first have to install the drivers:
apt-get install cedarview-graphics-drivers libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-drm
It will take around 10-15 minutes. If it complains about missing packages you have two options:

  1. (recommended) Open Synaptic Package Manager, then Settings/Repositories, in the Update tab check precise-update and close, then Reload.
  2. Add just this drivers' PPA:

apt-add-repository ppa:sarvatt/cedarview
apt-get update

The following step could be Lubuntu specific, but it only takes a minute to check:
cd /etc/lightdm/
If  lightdm.conf and lightdm.conf.cedarview-drm are different, you have to copy the second one over the first one, otherwise you will get a strange "broken pipe" error:
mv lightdm.conf lightdm.conf.old
mv lightdm.conf.cedarview-drm lightdm.conf
IMPORTANT UPDATE: it seems that lightdm support in Lubuntu for this drivers is really bad; I recommend using gdm instead, otherwise anytime you update the kernel or the drivers you are at risk of having that broken pipe issue. To do this you just have to install the "gdm" package and select "gdm" when it gives you the choice.
apt-get install gdm 
dpkg-reconfigure gdm
The next step depends much on which model you use; for the eeepc 1025C there should be no adjustment to make.
If at reboot your computer is stuck in text only mode (it doesn't open the GUI login), open a text shell by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1, login as usual and become root:
nano /etc/default/grub
find the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
and try adding between the double quotes:
video=LVDS-1:d
 update grub and reboot:
update-grub2 
If you want  to try different configurations (like different values after LVDS- ) without changing permanently the grub configuration, you can press e at the boot menu and put the options you want near "quiet splash"; then when you have found the right you can change grub configuration.

Important note:
Those drivers are not compatible with PAE kernel, so better double check you don't have one:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-generic-pae linux-image-generic-pae
 really get rid of it (source http://askubuntu.com/questions/168986/cedar-view-drivers-arent-working):

find out name of correct operating system kernel (one without pae) dpkg --list | grep linux-image
purge the rest of them using
sudo apt-get purge (paste the names from the above command in one at a time, except for one you don't wish to zap)
sudo update-grub2

At this point you will be able to play 720p videos at around 30% CPU use; that means that you won't have full video acceleration on linux yet (in windows you can do the same with less than 10% CPU), but the system is fully usable and is overall much more responsive because it uses much less RAM. 1080p video will play, but will be quite stressing for the CPU, see next pararagraph to learn how to do far better :-)
I also tried the game Battle for Wesnoth and it works a little faster than the windows version; I didn't try 3D games but I wouldn't expect much from those anyway.
UPDATE: games don't play well...

All hotkeys, WI-FI and suspend work great, the only problem I had is that, when you suspend the computer, AFP shares stop working and you have to reset them on the command line; I think this is more of a PCManFM issue than a graphics drivers one, but maybe there is a workaround.

Install vaapi accelerated mplayer

As I told videos play ok so far, but the full capabilities of the graphic chip are not yet exploited; time to install a mplayer version which will fully use those drivers' power.
apt-add-repository  ppa:sander-vangrieken/vaapi
apt-get update
apt-get install mplayer-vaapi 
It will tell you it conflicts with mplayer2 (it's ok to remove it) and it will install a few dependencies; this is the vaapi enabled version which will use GMA3600 hardware decoding, it may be a little less stable than the no-vaapi version, but I think the performance gain is well worth a few crashes once in while.
Last step: open Gnome Mplayer and go to Edit/Preferences, Mplayer tab (any other mplayer frontend should have a similar tab or a way to configure mplayer) and in the "Extra Options to Mplayer" field add:
-vo vaapi -va vaapi
and close.
Now you have full acceleration: 720p video play with 3-4% CPU use and 1080p are well below 10%!
Enjoy!

65 comments:

alberto said...

Ero indeciso sull'acquisto del 1015CX con Ubuntu, ma dopo aver letto il tuo articolo sono più fiducioso! ;)
Grazie

Henz Azhar said...

Hi,

I'm the thread starter from ubuntuforums,how do you find the battery life? is your ram still 1GB?

have you consider fuduntu.org ?

I've striped down the win7 to a minimum (no aero,safety features) still quite lags...

Riccardo said...

Hi,
sorry I didn't specifically test battery life, but I can generally tell you that it seems mostly comparable to Windows; I have 1GB ram so Win 7 is not an option, you can strip it down but it is still too heavy, it starts swapping too easily, becoming almost unusable.

I had never heard of Fuduntu, it seems a very nice distribution, but I won't try it; I see it uses its own repository, so probably I would be on my own about the drivers. I think it could have kernel 3.4, so really basic support should be compiled in, but really is not enough for everyday use (basically you just have the correct resolution, but no acceleration whatsoever, so that even 480p video struggle in full screen).

Keep in mind that Ubuntu support is somehow experimental, it works, but as you can see from the complicated setup, it is far from ready for prime time (I don't expect improvements in the drivers themself, only in packaging and configuration). Let's see how it will be in Ubuntu 12.10, I hope they will add it to the proprietary drivers list, so that one has the correct resolution from the start, and is a click away from accelerated drivers.

Henz Azhar said...

what do you think if an update to kernel 3.4 will it make it better?

I'm typing this from Ubuntu 12.04 install from wubi

Riccardo said...

Lots have been done in power management since kernel 3.2, so probably it is possible to gain some battery life, but at the risk of having problems in many other areas (that's what I read around, "homebrew" solutions based on kernel 3.4+ usually result in some major loss of functionality). I don't expect any gain in graphics, since as I said kernel 3.4 has a very basic support for cedar trail, just not enough I think.
If I were to try it, I would probably start with some Ubuntu 12.10 alpha (alpha2 has kernel 3.5) and just try to follow the procedure, it might work.

Riccardo said...

Another confirmation that theese drivers will probably not EVER get better: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2205462/idf-intel-says-clover-trail-will-not-work-with-linux

yesmathew said...

will this intel driver be of any use in Ubuntu 12.10 - http://communities.intel.com/thread/29157?start=135&tstart=0

Riccardo Cossu said...

Hi yesmathew, they could have been of some use if they supported recent versions of the kernel. From the release notes:
The following dependency sets are supported:

Bundle "Ant"
* Kernel: 3.0.0
* Mesa GL: 7.9
* Xorg: 1.9

Bundle "Bee"
* Kernel: 3.1.0
* Mesa GL: 7.11
* Xorg: 1.11

really far from what you have in Ubuntu 12.10.
I can't exclude for sure that someone could deliver working drivers starting from those, but I think it would be easier to start from the drivers in 12.04.
Thanks for your feedback anyway.

EtLib said...

Hi, thanks a lot for your guide!

I installed ubuntu 12.04 on my asus 1015cx
(it was delivered with a not properly working ubuntu...),
but I have a few questions:
1) is ubuntu 32 bit ok, or is it better on 64?
2) the drivers are loaded and they figure installed on synaptic, but unity is working (well) only in 2D mode, is this normal?
3) in system settings/additional drivers it sais "drm drivers for intel gma500" and "intel cedarview graphics driver", are these the right ones? should they be both on?
4) I have a PAE kernel installed, should i remove it and install the generic non pae? Is this operation risky? In a few words, what is it about?

Here are what unity support test sais:

PVRDRIInitPVR2D: PVR2D device index (0)OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

Not software rendered: no
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes
Unity 3D supported: no

Grazie!
(scrivo in inglese cha magari e' utile a qualcuno...)
Ettore

Riccardo Cossu said...

Ciao Ettore,
glad I could help! I also appreciated you wrote in english; I wrote it in english for the same reasons :-)
1) 32 bit is the only way; the drivers don't support 64bit
2) I think that's because the 3D support is not very reliable; it is disabled by default. It can be enabled but I tried and the desktop did not boot; I wasn't interested in trying further
3) I think so: if they wouldn't you would probably not get to the desktop. The definitive test is try to watch a 1080p video with mplayer-vaapi; if it is played with low cpu usage you're surely ok.
4) same thing as 3; officially PAE is not supported, but if it works leave it there, it won't harm. I had report from another user who was using PAE with no problem and another one for which it didn't boot. I would say that one has to remove PAE only if he has troubles.

Ciao,
Riccardo

EtLib said...

Grazie! Ho lasciato cosi' com'era...
certo un po' una delusione che Unity funzioni solo in 2D!

Ciao,
Ettore

ebacfd1a-33dd-11e2-9f9d-000bcdca4d7a said...

Hello, i'm trying right now, i hope it will work.. thanks

wtkbenjamin said...

I have been spending days to fix this issue... Now I can scream out "IT WORKS!!!!"

Riccardo Cossu said...

Glad to have helped! :-)

peteforsyth said...

Riccardo, I am so pleased to find your review! I was having a great deal of trouble getting a fully functioning Linux install on this hardware, and above all was especially happy just to find a clear endorsement of (any) Linux distro for it. I got Lubuntu 12.04 up and running, with wireless networking.

Unfortunately, I then followed the instructions under "Installing the drivers" above, up through the step "apt-get install gdm". It gave me the menu to choose gdm over lightdm, and then I restarted.

It wouldn't reboot. I was able to start up in terminal mode (through the "recovery mode" option at GRUB) and uninstalled the packages; but that didn't help. I now have instead of a graphically rendered Lubuntu logo at startup, a plain text version of it, and it never advances beyond that.

Any suggestions, short of wiping the install and redoing it (which I'm happy to do)?

Riccardo Cossu said...

Hi,
do you see messages like "broken pipe" in the textual screen?
You could also try to execute:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

because maybe smething got lost when uninstalling gdm.
When you start the computer in "normal" way, are you able to open a text shell with Ctrl-Alt-F1? If yes try:

sudo lightdm start

to see if it works manually

peteforsyth said...

I don't recall seeing "broken pipe" but it's possible it was there. What I remember seeing is something to effect that it tried a fallback graphics driver, and failed.

Yes, Ctrt-Alt-F1 works.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

^^^ did not give any output, I am not sure if it did anything.

sudo lightdm start

^^^ WORKED! Happy to see the system is still working. I don't have any idea how to make it launch automatically though. Sorry, I am still pretty clueless about configuring Linux -- I've been playing with it off and on for years, but I don't know enough to do even basic troubleshooting it seems!

Riccardo Cossu said...

Did you try to restart after "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm"? In my experience if it starts manually, should also work at reboot...

peteforsyth said...

Yes, I've tried that a few times, it still won't reboot without doing this manually. But, I did find something interesting: from the splash screen, if I press one of the arrow keys, it will drop to the scrolling boot screen. So now I know where it gets stuck. The last two lines are:

* Starting Mount network filesystems [OK]
* Stopping Mount network filesystems [OK]

I don't know if that helps, but…there it is. In the meantime, I am happy with having any way to boot at all. Thanks again for your help!

Riccardo Cossu said...

Then I suggest to check why lightdm is not starting automatically and act on that; you could also try (as a temporary workaround) to add "lightdm start" to the end of "/etc/rc.local" (without sudo, that file is executed as root).

A. Parzy said...

Hi! Thanks for your great piece of advice, it worked well on my Packard Bell dot S with Intel Atom N2600 / GMA3600. What I can't explain is why it's unusable with hibernate function: black backlighted screen, I have to "blindly" open a console and reboot to get a normal session. What is surprising is that it works when I uninstall/reinstall hibernate or when I regenerate initrd… only once! Any clue?
Antoine

Riccardo Cossu said...

Hi, I'm happy it helped you :-)
What's happening to you seems quite weird... sorry I never use hibernate (I usually suspend it). Since usually things like that are dependant on the manufacturer or model, it could be specific to your model, not to GMA 3600... the only advice I could give is to try another distribution which uses unaccelerated driver (most recent ones do) and see what happens, just to exclude it has to do with graphic drivers.
Surely support for this kind of hardware is far from ideal anyway.

Josh Zotz said...

VIOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy jebus it worked great!
thank you

I have an Asus EeePC Flare 1025c. Just installed Ubuntu 12.04 and had that resolution problem.
You helped me fix it and for that I am very greatful :)

Riccardo Cossu said...

I'm very happy you can say "it works!" :-)

enter-uh said...

Thank you for the article, Ricardo!

Do you think Lubuntu 12.04 will work fine on an EeePC 1025c with the N2800 processor?

Also, is there anything else that is not working under Lubuntu on 1025c, apart from poor 3D acceleration? Hotkeys, sleep, certain types of videos, bluetooth, card reader...?

Riccardo Cossu said...

I can say I am using it every day since over 6 months and noticed no big issue.
One user reported in the comments that he had problems with hibernation, but I don't use it, so I don't know; sleep works perfectly, as hotkeys, wifi, card-reader, webcam... 1025c does not have bluetooth hardware, so support depends only on the dongle you use, if it works on other PC's I don't see a reason why it should not on 1025c.
By following the guide also video playback is absolutely ok (never found any problematic video), although you can sometimes have a green line across the screen; someone reported it happens often, I can't say the same, it happened to me just a couple of times.

tjavo1984 said...

Thank you for a very nice guide! It made my 1025c into a little powerhouse!
Though, there is a minor issue that I've not been able to solve..
I installed the mplayer-vaapi version, entering the extra commands, and I did notice quite a boost in performance using Gnome-Mplayer.
However, my favorite frontend SMPlayer has stopped working. It tells me it has problems identifying the mplayer version in use and asks me to identify it manually. I also tried switching the output module from xv to vaapi, entering the extra commands, without results. Playback is dead..
Strange problem considering that both players use the same mplayer backend..
I'm running short of ideas how to solve this little problem..

Galyna Stegniy said...

Thanks!!! This method really works.
But, this section

video=LVDS-1:d

gives me black screen. I had to remove it.

Alan Chau said...

Thanks for all this invaluable and concise information. Got it running on an Asus EeePC X101CH on Ubuntu 12.04 after a manual

sudo lightdm start

Could have never done it without you. Seems like there's a 3D accelerated driver available after the drm Cedar Trail DKMS installs properly. Time to give that a try!

Riccardo Cossu said...

that's really weird, given the fact that, as you write, they use the same backend; I would rather look at a Smplayer + mplayer-vaapi issue, rather then one with the drivers.

Riccardo Cossu said...

Happy it worked :-)
Yes, the LVDS stuff depends on the particular hardware model, it's not usually needed on eeepcs

Riccardo Cossu said...

Any source about it? I tried once and all I got was black screen or flickering graphics (and really poor performances anyway, even with simple models).

Alan Chau said...

The install was pretty straight forward through the Additional Hardware icon. I got it running and it seemed the desktop environment was pretty zippy (way more than the default 800x600 at install), tho I haven't tried doing anything graphically intense like games.

I think the cause of the black screen is some kind of conflict between the 2D&3D and unity-greeter because when I changed the greeter to lightdm-gtk-greeter in lightdm.conf, the login showed up just fine and no need to ctrl-alt-f1 to get out of the black screen.

Riccardo Cossu said...

Ok thanks, maybe I will try, but more out of curiosity than use; playing 3d games on the netbook is not that important to me, I am really satisifed with videos :-)

Prophet said...

Hello, I see you're successfully using ubuntu on your 1025c.
I have followed a guide on a similar blog about installing ubuntu to 1025c, and the PC failed on me.
I have posted a question on superuser, http://superuser.com/questions/546895/installed-lubuntu-on-eeepc-1025c-now-wont-boot

Maybe you could help? :)
Thanks in advance.

Alan Chau said...

Yeah, I have no real plans to use my machine to play 3D games either. Just happy that video is good and I'm no longer stuck in 800x600.

Dario Murgia said...

ciao Riccardo,

volevo ringraziarti per aver condiviso queste informazioni, grazie alle tue indicazioni sono riuscito a risolvere il problema driver su un tablet basato su atom n2600 che sto utilizzando al lavoro per portare avanti un progetto.

dopo svariate prove con parecchie distribuzioni sono riuscito a far caricare i driver DRM per la scheda grafica cedarview integrata, con accelerazione 3d funzionante (il problema dei giochi che hai sollevato è derivato dal fatto che la PowerVR supporta parzialmente le API OpenGL, mentre l'accelerazione hardware sfrutta le API OpenGL ES).

Ho fatto girare un benchmark per verificare l'utilizzo delle OpenGL ES (glmark2-es2) ottenendo ottimi risultati.

Adesso mi rimangono da risolvere due problemi, poi dovrei essere a posto: il touchscreen non funziona su Lubuntu 12.04, mentre va senza problemi con Lubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 12.10 e Fedora 16, funziona nativamente senza dover configurare nulla.

Hai qualche dritta da consigliarmi per farlo andare anche su Lubuntu 12.04? Posso provare altri kernel più recenti continuando a mantenere la compatibilità con i driver DRM per cedarview?

L'altro problema da risolvere è il login automatico: prima con lightdm avveniva senza problemi, mettendo gdm all'avvio mi richiede di accedere inserendo la password, cosa che dovrei bypassare; come posso risolvere?

Dario

Mickaël Van-Daëlen said...

Hi ! I own an Asus Eeepc X101ch with GMA3600 too and I had to deal with the same problem using lightdm. But there is a very simple solution that works. All you need to do is to install and to use lxdm instead of lightdm.
After that, you can easily tweak it for autologin by editing /etc/lxdm/default.conf as root.
I hope this willbe useful for you.
M.V-D

Riccardo Cossu said...

Hi Dario,
thanks for the info on 3D, can you provide any link I can look up?

Adapting the drivers for Kernels > 3.2 would surely require a lot of work and expertise; if no one has done it till now I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon. It seems that, simply put, Intel just dropped support for this hardware; shame on them!
Thus I am afraid you are stuck with Ubuntu 12.04 and can't benefit from the touch interface of 12.10 :-(

As for GDM, this should do the trick:
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/Dp67/custom-gdm-configuration-for-auto-and-timed-login

Bye,
Riccardo

Dario Murgia said...

Hi Riccardo,

thank you for answering

I will try to get the touchscreen working on 3.2 kernel.

Regarding 3D acceleration, try to edit this file
/usr/share/intel-cdv/X11/xorg.conf.d/61-cdv-pvr.conf

changing 'Option "AIGLX" "Off"' to 'Option "AIGLX" "On"'

reboot and test Opengl videogames ;)

Riccardo Cossu said...

Thanks, I tried that in the past, but all I got has been a black screen :-(

padre Karras said...

Thanks. All is fine. I have Mint 13 and acer d270. 1080 by HDMI OK. Thank you from Spain

Prophet said...

Hi Riccardo! (I'm the guy from the SuperUser Question :)

I am out of luck. It seems that I have accidently messed with the partitions as you said.
I know realize, I must restore the partitions to their original state.
I plan to take out the HDD and install the correct information on it, then put it back again.
But, I have no another eee pc to take the information from, can you upload the special (16 mb I think) partition? it would be of grand help.

Thank you for reading, and even more if you do upload the partition, since I am a programmer without his PC right now, and too broke to buy another :(

Riccardo Cossu said...

Strange... I tried to write the image using dd but the partition doesn't show up as a device, although Gparted "sees" it. I will let you know when I manage to create an image.

Hengki D. Hermawan said...

Thank you, You helped me. :)

I just downloaded Lubuntu, following your step and it works. But, if I create and edited the xorg.conf in live session, it could't start; I have "_" blinking. Then I install it without making any xorg.conf. After it is installed on my 1025c, i created and edited the xorg.conf, reboot the machine, there is no "_" blinking anymore. Following you until "mv lightdm.conf.cedarview-drm lightdm.conf" and I got the good resolution on my machine, thanks :)

Riccardo Cossu said...

Good! :-)
Which version did you install please?

Hengki D. Hermawan said...

Sorry, I didn't mention it before.. I'm using lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.

I don't know why I have a problem when changing the xorg.conf in live session. But it doesn't matter :)
I updated my BIOS before running lubuntu (because i had a charging problem when i bought this notebook yesterday) using asus official BIOS update, but I don't think it was the reason why I have problem when changing the xorg.conf in the live session

Riccardo Cossu said...

changing xorg.conf in live is only needed for ubuntu 12.10, no use in 12.04, or maybe, as you pointed out, it can cause issues :-)
12.04 live boots just fine without tweaks, but with the wrong resolution; I don't know any workaround for this.

Rhony Abdullah said...

Thanks much, IT WORKS !!! :D ,

Just Following step by step

But sometimes when i playing video i got green screen, so i'm using VLC

Asus 1025C
Lubuntu 12.04 LTS

Adolfo Calderón said...

hi!
i followed all your steps, now I have 1024x600 resolution but i cant play any 720p videos. I suppose i dont have the accelerated video...
could you please help me?
thanks

Riccardo Cossu said...

Glad it worked; keep in mind that if you use VLC you lose hardware acceleration! You should be able to play 720p at most (with heavy cpu usage)

Riccardo Cossu said...

Hi can you please give more detail? Does Mplayer give you some error?

David Minford said...

Running mint 15, installed with a res of 1024 x600 but all my videos are choppy, Utube works but films stutter along, can you talk me through how to fix it?

Riccardo Cossu said...

Linux Mint 15 is based on Ubuntu 13.04, which unfortunately has only very basic support for this kind of graphics chips, without any acceleration which results in very poor video playback performances; accelerated graphics drivers were (and probably will ever be) only released for Ubuntu 12.04.
As far as I know you can either have good performances (Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13) or latest software updates (Ubuntu 12.10/Mint 14 onwards).
Since I play videos a lot, sticking with Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 is the best option for me.
If I ever find out a reliable way to install the drivers on newer ubuntu versions, I will surely share the results on this blog.

David Minford said...

Thx I'll install mint 13 to see how that goes , thx for the advice

padre Karras said...

Use VLC for 720p and mplayer for 1080p.

padre Karras said...

use VLC for 720p and mplayer for 1080p.

trokenheim said...

Im stuck with the black screen after adding video=LVDS-1:d

How do I remove it?

Riccardo Cossu said...

The same way you added it; just boot in safe mode and you should be able to follow the procedure in reverse.
Did you have black screen BEFORE adding LVDS? That is an optional step which must be done only if you already have a black screen.

Bandido said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bandido said...

Ciao! ho un 1015 cx, ho installato lubuntu 13.10.
Secondo te ho la possibilità di vedere video decenti? o devo per forza tornare alla 12.04 ed affidarmi ai driver cedar trail?

Pravin Vibhute said...

Is there any other and easy way? I have Asus 1225c with N2800 processor. Tried Linux Mint as well as Ubuntu 13. Ubuntu shows very large images and Mint works very slow and shows warning that it is running in developers mode.
What to do?

Riccardo Cossu said...

Only english comments please.
To make it short it is not possible in a regular, reliable way; my advice is to stay on 12.04.
The comments on Blogger seem to be very buggy; sometimes they show up, sometimes not... sorry for that.

Riccardo Cossu said...

Hi,
the simplest thing to do is to use Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.04.1 (not 12.04.2-12.04-4).

Robin Cussol said...

Hi Riccardo,

I have an ASUS EEE PC 1025C on which I managed to install Ubuntu 13.04 + Lubuntu Desktop and it has been working perfectly since then. However, now that 13.04 is no longer updated, I wondered to what extent it would be a good idea to upgrade it to Ubuntu 13.10. Have you experienced it already? Would you recommend it?

Thank you very much for your answer,

Robin